Sunday, June 26, 2011

Flexibility is the Key

I like to plan. I like to plan everything down to the last detail. I'm not very good at being laid back and going with the flow...unless you catch me in the right mood, which is rare. I'm addicted to post-its and I love to write lists, that I usually lose and then have to re-write. So last year when I found out we were pregnant I dove right into super-planning-mode and started researching like a mad women trying to organize the perfect Birth Plan. I even had an 3-ring binder with multiple copies of said plan in case one was lost. It also included dividers with info for my husband, vaccines, what to do after baby was born and hypnobirthing scripts.
I was preparing myself for a natural-hypno-water-birth at Best Start Birth Center in San Diego. Boy was I in for a whirlwind of emotion when we found out Baby M was breach. We found out fairly early so we had plenty of time to try out various techniques to turn him around. I would lay with my head down, butt up in the air for 15 minutes at a time.....tried moxibustion on my pinkie toes....placed headphones at my pelvis in hopes he'd move towards it, even tried playing heavy metal at the top of my tummy hoping he'd move away from it! Lets see, we also tried using a flashlight and homeopathic pills called Pulsatilla. OH! I almost forgot - we also tried an aversion at UCSD Hospital. That's when they physically pushed on Baby M's head and rump trying to flip him around. That only resulted in me staying there all day due to my blood pressure sky rocketing during the procedure. Baby M didn't like it either, each time they moved him a few inches, he'd spring right back to where he originally was.
After the aversion failed, we scheduled a c-section for a few weeks later. At that point I was exhausted and didn't know enough about delivering a breech baby vaginally to feel comfortable with it. So we scheduled the delivery for February 11th at noon at UCSD Hospital. My plans changed, I re-wrote the Birth Plan, printed out multiple copies for my binder and mentally came to terms with it.
I in for another surprise when I went into labor the night of February 6th in Los Angeles. Baby M was born at 3:34am February 7th at Little Company of Mary Hospital in Torrance.

My first and most important lesson as a new mom? Be flexible!


No comments:

Post a Comment