Sunday, November 6, 2011

For the troops

I LOVE MY FAMILY.  I'm not just talking about my immediate family but my entire crazy lovable extended family.  We are always there for each other, always supportive, and truthfully my cousins are more like my brothers and sisters.  I really think that when it comes down to it we are each others best friends. 
We have a cousin that was deployed to Afghanistan 5 months ago.  I had been meaning to send her a care package for months.  It's a sorry excuse, but life kept getting in the way or we just didn't have any extra money.  Well, I felt TERRIBLE when she surprised me with a flower delivery when I came down with the flu two months ago.  How sweet is that? She's all the way around the world, in a war zone, and she's sending ME flowers???  That got my butt in gear!  My parents and I put together a box of shampoo, snacks, lotion and Halloween trick or treat bags.  We were able to stuff 5 extra trick or treat bags in there so that she could give it to a few of her friends. 
The trick or treat bags got us thinking.  Wouldn't it be awesome to send her and her fellow troops a care package for Christmas too?  Luckily she is based at an Airfield and has a "desk job" at the Stability Operations Office.  This office serves as a liaison between the military and civilian operations.  I emailed her and asked her how many troops she works with and their names.  I also sent out an email to family here in the states to see if they would also like to contribute to this project.  The response was overwhelming!
A cousin in Colorado sent a check to help with shipping.  An aunt and uncle bought 33 bibles.  My parents went to Costco for snacks.  My brother is making 33 DVD's of Christmas movies. A cousin in Arizona is also sending a check.  Another aunt is going to Costco for stocking stuffers....I could go on and on.  And yes, as you just read we are sending them Christmas stockings!
I bought stockings the other night and wrote their names on it.  We are all getting together for our "Thanksgiving before Thanksgiving" dinner in two weeks (Thanksgiving is split between CA & AZ so it's really 2 days for our family).  After dinner we will stuff the stockings as a family.
Like I said I LOVE MY FAMILY!

If you're interested in sending the troops a care package this Christmas and don't know where to start here are a few links:

No comments:

Post a Comment