Friday, July 1, 2011

Ever hear of oil pulling???

I know I never had. A few days ago I was reading a Facebook post about a mom asking for holistic alternatives to modern dentistry. One of the responses mentioned oil pulling. Me being me and loving the Internet, Googled 'oil pulling' and read up on it. So here's the scoop, oil pulling is the process of swishing oil in your mouth first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything, even water. The oil pulls the toxins out of your system and you spit it out after 5-20 minutes of 'swishing'. Gross, right? When I first read about this I almost gagged at the mere thought of having oil in my mouth for that long, but I kept reading. Oil pulling helps relieve migraines, bronchitis, acne, arthritis, diseased teeth, blood disorders such as leukemia, kidney disease, PMS ... the list goes on! Now I'm intrigued. Plus we don't have insurance at the moment so I'm always looking for natural ways to stay healthy. I'd much rather try something holistic and natural than try a new drug any day.
I've done it 3 times now, first thing in the morning. The 15 minutes go by quickly if you use the time to make the bed, clean up a little or even take a shower while you swish and swirl the oil. I used coconut oil, and honestly it wasn't that bad! I've noticed that my teeth are much whiter! It's as if I used bleaching trays the past few nights. I even convinced D to do it the other morning and later that day he told me his teeth felt much cleaner also.

Here are basic instructions on how to do oil pulling:

1


The first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and before drinking any liquids (including water), pour exactly one tablespoon of oil (sunflower, sesame, coconut or whatever oil you have chosen) into your mouth.

2
Set a timer for 5-15 minutes.




3
Swish the oil around in your mouth without swallowing it. Move it around in your mouth and through your teeth, as if it was mouthwash (don't tilt your head back to gargle though). You'll find that the oil will start to get watery as your saliva mixes with it. Keep swishing.If your jaw muscles get sore while swishing, you're putting too much into it. Relax your jaw muscles and use your tongue to help move the liquid around the inside of your mouth. When you do this correctly, you'll feel very comfortable. Pretty soon, it will become second nature.

4
As the end of the oil pulling session approaches, you may notice the oil/saliva mixture in your mouth has become thicker. This is quite normal, since it is pulling out toxins from your body.When 20 minutes is up, spit out the oil into the toilet. Don't be alarmed if it looks yellowish--this is also normal.

5
Rinse out your mouth a couple of times with warm water and spit into the toilet. Rinse and spit with a good mouthwash.



6
Brush your teeth as usual with your toothpaste of choice. You'll notice is your mouth is cleaner, fresher, healthier and brighter!




Give it a shot you may be surprised!


Have you ever tried anything out of the ordinary to improve your health?

2 comments:

  1. This sounds totally weird - but I am intrigued. How do you not talk for fifteen minutes? I think I have to tell my kids to stop doing something every two minutes in the mornings. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA good point littlemissnerdgirl! Sharleanna here, I know I'm always talking to babygirl 15 min would be hard! I haven't tried it yet but that might be a good time for "quiet Mommy time" which means we can turn it into a reward for the babes if they are SUPER good (for example a fruit snack! or Gummy bears which are also their vitamins!)

    ReplyDelete